Behind the scenes with Gavin Walker...
In our latest 'Behind the Scenes' interview we speak to Gavin Walker who has recently joined the team as Chartered Buiding Surveyor. Gavin is a self-confessed burger addict, read on to find out what gets him out of bed in the morning and more...
1. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
Bright, sunny days. Coffee, black, I need to invest in a coffee machine! Also having a clear plan and goal to work towards always helps.
2. What is your favourite building in Newcastle and why?
It’s got to be The Baltic (technically Gateshead not Newcastle). It’s such an iconic building and the terrace gives amazing views of the city. The Theatre Royal would be my second choice – a true landmark in a prime location and an example of good architecture that has stood the test of time.
3. Describe your perfect work day?
Productive, interesting and fun.
4. In your experience, what is the most common misconception about Building Surveyors?
Not a misconception as such, but I don’t think clients and everyday people realise the range of services we provide. Most assume it’s mainly defect survey / pathology related.
5. Which building would knock down tomorrow if you had the chance?
Not sure. Do we have to knock down, could we not refurbish?
6. What do you think is the biggest challenge facing the property sector in 2021?
The recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic. While we are experiencing a boom at the moment due to the backlog of work and the funding of some projects being put on hold, this will most likely steady out in the next year or so which may catch some businesses off guard.
7. How can Building Surveyors have a lasting impact?
By giving accurate and honest advice that considers the long term, is robust and is the right thing to do.
8. What aspect of the job did you not anticipate when you first entered the industry?
Business development and the emphasis on client care. Which I have since realised is crucial.
9. What does relaxation look like for you?
A good workout at the gym, a burger in the sun and sleep.
10. What was the last meal you made and when?
Steak (medium rare!), jacket and veg - last week.
11. What was the last book you read?
The Fear Bubble by Ant Middleton. Good read, interesting take on discipline and overcoming insecurities / fears.
12. Name your top 3 movies of all time?
Drive, Point Break, The Goonies.
13. Tell us an interesting fact about yourself that people may not know?
I do a lot of CrossFit. It’s great for fitness and has a real community feel to it. I also eat a lot of burgers. My favourite would be a double cheeseburger, simple, no frills, can’t beat a classic!
14. What’s the one piece of advice you will pass on to your children?
15. If you could pick one super power what would it be and why?
Flying, you could go anywhere at any time, when you please.